Coastal RSM Plan Development, San Francisco Open Coast Littoral Cell
The Coastal Regional Sediment Management Plan (CRSMP or Plan) for the San Francisco Littoral Cell (SFLC) which covers the coastal region from the Golden Gate to Point San Pedro through the adjacent watersheds and includes the communities of San Francisco, Daly City, and Pacifica, is currently under development. The SFLC Plan’s objective is to assist coastal government entities, municipalities, stakeholders, and communities develop strategies for beneficial reuse of sediments to address coastal erosion and storm damage. The Plan will provide sufficient information for local and regional coastal decision makers to develop policies and execute management sub-plans for the future vitality of beaches and shoreline areas throughout the littoral cell. Tasks to be completed as part of Plan preparation include:
- Stakeholder outreach and coordination through a Public Outreach Program and Stakeholder Advisory Group to ensure that local issues are addressed,
- Collection of pertinent data related to:
- physical processes (e.g., waves and currents)
- economic impacts (e.g., tourism, beach use, potential funding streams)
- sediments (e.g., types, potential sources, needs, locations, quantities, dredging statistics)
- environmental concerns (e.g., critical species and habitats),
- Preparation and compilation of spatial layers to allow Inclusion of this data into CSMW’s GIS database for visualization and ease of use by coastal decision makers,
- Identification of and recommendations for techniques to address governance issues related to Plan implementation, and
- Incorporation of strategies into a Coastal RSM Plan specific to the San Francisco and San Mateo coastlines
The San Francisco Littoral Cell CRSMP will culminate in the drafting and release of a final Plan in 2016. A Public Review draft should be available in January 2016.
CSMW is working with the Association of Bay Area Governments, San Francisco Estuary Partnership division, to develop outreach and governance portions for the Plan. ABAG has contracted with Kearns & West (contact: Julia Golomb) to carry out these efforts.
A Public Meeting to discuss the current status of Plan development is scheduled in Pacifica.
- Date: Thursday, December 2, 2015
- Time: 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Location: Pacifica Community Center, 540 Crespi Drive, Pacifica, CA 94044
Several stakeholder and public meetings took place in 2011 and 2012 to obtain local agency and public input for the purpose of informing Plan development. A kickoff Stakeholder Advisory Group meeting was held in San Francisco on March 28, 2011, with a follow-up meeting in Daly City on June 6, 2012. Public meetings were held in San Francisco and Pacifica on July 12 and 19, 2012, respectively. Additional Stakeholder Advisory Group and Public meetings were held in Pacifica on November 14, 2012 to discuss progress to date. Information presented at the meetings and transcripts of the November 14, 2012 public comments are available here and through links to your right.
Please check back as ongoing activities and Plan developments will periodically be posted on this website.