HomeDocumentsLinks & ResourcesWeather, Tides and Maps
The Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) funds coastal and estuarine oceanography, studies to improve boating facility, beach erosion, restoration design, and boating and maritime safety and access. DBW also supports climate change data collection and studies. Studies include anti-fouling paints and the Southern California Beach Process Study (SCBPS). The division contributes to the funding of Coastal Data Information Program (CDIP) efforts to monitor, model, and forecast ocean swell and coastal wave heights using long-term data collection; information used by recreational boaters, commercial fishing and shipping industries, the military, and ocean enthusiasts; develop a beach-change forecasting model in the SCBPS. For more detailed information, please visit CDIP.
DBW contributes to the funding of the CDIP, which is an extensive network for monitoring waves and beaches along the coastlines of the United States. Since its inception in 1975, the program has produced a vast database of publicly-accessible environmental data for use by coastal engineers and planners, scientists, mariners and marine enthusiasts. The program has also remained at the forefront of coastal monitoring, developing numerous innovations in instrumentation, system control and management, computer hardware and software, field equipment and installation techniques.
To view informational documents regarding wave measurement, instrumentation, data acquisition, data processing, data management and more, please visit CDIP's document webpage.
For links and resources regarding clean boating, boating safety, as well as information regarding boating in Northern California, Southern California and more, please visit: Clean Boating Links and Resources.
Additionally, please visit the links below for specific information regarding the following subject matters:
- Biennial Report, DBW, 27th
- ACT - Alliance for Coastal Technologies
- CDBW - California Division of Boating and Waterways
- CeNCOOS - Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System
- CERES - California Environmental Resources Evaluation System
- California Harbor Master Home Page
- CO-OPS - Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services
- DRI - California Atmospheric Models, Desert Research Institute
- NDBC - National Data Buoy Center
- National Hurricane Center
- NWS San Diego - National Weather Service
- SANDAG - San Diego Association of Governments
- SCCOOS - Southern California Coastal Ocean Observing System
- SDCOOS - San Diego Coastal Ocean Observing System
- Tides Online - NOAA/CO-OPS Tide Measurements
- USACE - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Watch The Water - LA County Coastal Monitoring Network
- San Francisco Clean Boating Map Produced by the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment, and the California Division of Boating and Waterways, the California Coastal Commission’s Boating Clean & Green Program.
- Sacramento - San Joaquin Delta Recreational Boating Map Produced by the Keep the Delta Clean program with the California Division of Boating and Waterways, and the California Coastal Commission.
- NOAA Pacific Infrared Satellite
- Delta Tide Table
- Marine Weather Page
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography, CDIP
- US Radar
- WWW Tide and Current Predictor (West Coast in north to south order)
- Get Boating Charts for Any Location