Yacht and Ship Brokers/Salesperson Licensing Program

Where can I get a Yacht & Ship Salesperson License application form?
For first time applicants, the salesperson license form must be obtained from the sponsoring broker. If the broker has no forms available, the broker must call the division to request that the salesperson application forms be mailed to him or her.

Where can I get renewal/reinstatement forms, transfer forms, branch application forms, and branch renewal forms?
These forms can be downloaded directly from the Division of Boating and Waterways website at http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Yns/YnSApps.aspx

What are the renewal/reinstatement fees for broker/salesperson licenses?

Salesperson Renewal Fee: $50.00 Broker Renewal Fee: $ 75.00
Salesperson Reinstatement Fee: $75.00 Broker Reinstatement Fee: $112.50

If the license is renewed before the expiration date, no penalty fee is accessed.

Can I pay the fees for a broker/salesperson license with a charge card?
No, the Department does not accept credit card or ATM payments. Acceptable payment methods include personal checks, cashiers checks or a company check.

What are the qualifications necessary to be eligible for a broker’s license?

  1. You must be at least 18 years of age.
  2. Never cited for a violation of the Yacht and Ship Brokers Act within the proceeding two years of your application.
  3. Possess a working knowledge and understanding of the principles of the yacht brokerage business and profession.
  4. Within 5 years preceding your application, you must possess at least 1 year “accumulative” experience as a California licensed salesperson.

How long does it take for the division to process licensing applications?
The Division has 10 working days to process a completed application packet. A completed application packet includes the following:

  • All fees have been paid.
  • The application is complete.
  • All questions have been answered truthfully .
  • Request for Live scan has been completed through the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (if applicable).
  • The broker has secured a $15,000 surety bond (brokers only).
  • The Division has received three years of Federal tax records of your business (out-of-state brokers or new-used marine dealers only).
  • The Division has received business license/permits (out-of-state brokers or new-used marine dealers only).

Can I work before I take the written exam?
Only if you have an active temporary license by the Division.

When and where are exams held for the broker/salesperson license?
Exams are held in Long Beach the 1st Saturday of each month, San Diego the second Wednesday of each month, and Sacramento on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.

Where can I find study material for the broker/salesperson license exams?
Study material will accompany your exam notification and can also be found on the Division’s website at http://www.dbw.parks.ca.gov/Yns/ynsbstudy.aspx

Where are Live Scan facilities located?
In most areas, local Sheriff, Police Department and Department of Justice provide Live Scan services. You can also obtain a list of other locations at http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.htm.

How can I change the address for my Yacht & Ship License?
Only the broker of record can request a change of address.  The broker must submit his or her current broker's license to the division along with all salesperson and/or associate broker licenses, if applicable. The broker must inform the Division in writing confirming the new address of the brokerage.

What is the process for transferring from one brokerage to another?
The broker of record whom you are transferring from must return the current active license to the Division. You or your new broker of record must submit the transfer form and the $10 fee to the Division. Your transfer application will not be processed without the required fees or documents.

How do I appeal the denial of a permit, license, or application?
Contact the Acting Deputy Director of the Division at:

E-mail: Jared Zucker, Administrative Liaison to the Acting Deputy Director
Call: (888) 326-2822
Write: Colonel Christopher C. Conlin, USMC (Ret), Acting Deputy Director
One Capitol Mall, Suite 410
Sacramento, CA 95814