Life Jackets for Recreational Water Sports
for life jackets that are best for angling and hunting.
|Touring & Whitewater
- Intended for canoeing, kayaking, rafting, and whitewater activities
- Special fit allows for freedom of movement
- May not turn unconscious wearer face up
- Requires little maintenance
(see owner's manual)
If a life jacket fits properly...
- It will help keep your head above the water.
- If it's too big, the life jacket will ride up around your face.
- If it's too small, it will not be able to keep your body afloat.
- Life jackets designed for adults will not work for children!
Try it on for size!
- Check the manufacturer's label to ensure that the life jacket is a proper fit for your size and weight.
- Make sure the jacket is properly fastened.
- Hold your arms straight up over your head.
- Ask a friend to grasp the tops of the arm openings and gently pull up.
- Make sure there is no excess room above the openings and that the jacket does not ride up over your chin or face.
- For the best fit, try the life jacket in shallow water under safe and supervised conditions.
The U.S. Coast Guard has more life jacket information here.